Friday, October 19, 2007

Art-Crates

Hey guys,

I'm living out here in Boston right now, but that doesn't I can't make some stuff for this next show.

Anyways, have you guys heard of The Postal Service? That whole ablum was made by Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello utilizing the "postal service" to send beats and vocals back and forth to each other. On that note, I want to start a project with whomever is interested in making a piece utilizing snail mail.

A few ideas I have:
- was for someone to design an "art-crate" (a nice fancy cardboard box for shipping our work back and forth which will be on display too; of course it will have a nice big Co/Lab logo stamped on it). As for how many people, pieces, mail, and distance covered will be up to how ambitious we are.
- send "art-crates" to artistically conscious people to fill it with something awesome and ship it back to the show. A good way for those that have graduated and moved far, far away to still be active.
- ship "art-crates" to random people, the crates themselves will be the work. Also maybe send a shit-ton of them to one location at the same time!

Okay...I have used all of my brain-power for today and also it is time for me to get off work.

Let me know what you guys think...

-Semar

6 comments:

Milan said...

I think you should post your address so we can get this started! what a friggin cool idea. Semar, can i ask you something?


how did you get to be so cool?

Semar said...

"Cool" and Semar goes together as well as "chalk and cheese"...

Anonymous said...

Only problem I would see is that shipping costs would be immense. Finding some way to offset that would be ideal. Carrier pigeons, maybe? I hear they're stronger than they look. Oh, no wait, that's African Swallows.

Semar said...

Word! I totally agree with Clayton that shipping is expensive. I am working on saving aside a budget for this project, just like any other project. The crates covering distances from person to person is an important part of the project. I'm working on a few things, I have a some tricks up my sleeve ^^.

Milan said...

hmm other forms... other containers... a big ass lightweight envelope?

mEi said...

I think it's also a great idea since more and more people are getting involved and many of the graduated are located far from each other. This project can help people feel connected again.

We can try all sort of formats, such as digital formats, paper (some ppl use paper and make some amazing 3D models), or something that can be alive like a seed or something...or something that's inflated and then puff it up later...or even non solid stuff like paints...

I dunno, I start sounding silly now :P